Subject: Re: [boost] [math] Efficient polynomial multiplication
From: Hans Dembinski (hans.dembinski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-18 09:19:51

Hi Lakshay,

>> BTW: A polynomial class working with std::array / boost::array would be
>> great! No allocation at all...
>>
> ​[…]
> Also, you would need to know the sizes of vectors at the compile time if
> arrays are to be used. Wouldn't this be too restrictive?

in my experience (scientist), low order polynomials are much more frequently used than polynomials of order >500. So it might be worthwhile to improve the low order performance, too.

Concerning the std::array/boost::array, ideally you want to provide a library that can handle both dynamic and static arrays. Let's say I am user of your library, and I happen to know the order of my polynomial at compile time. Then I would like to rest assured that the library can handle and optimise this case.

The Eigen library and my proposed library https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram <https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram> and follow this approach, they transparently work with both static and dynamic arrays/histograms.

Best regards,
Hans