Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-18 18:08:00

Boost - Dev mailing list wrote
> Den 18-07-2017 kl. 17:14 skrev Thorsten Ottosen via Boost:

>>> Where are you soliciting comments and proposals from the community to
>>> guide the process and the goals ? On this mailing list ? In the Boost
>>> Steering Committee Google group ?
>>
>> Good question!
>>
>> I find the message from a long time member like Rene quite disturbing,
>> to say the least.
>
> In case it wasn't clear, it's not what Rene says that is disturbing, but
> that it has come so far that he has to say it.
>
> Where is all the discussion that led to this decision? The pros and
> cons? The feedback from the community and members?
>
> kind regards

There was a lot of discussion on the list recently about various levels of
integrations
between Boost and CMake. A lot of interest was generated and we thought it
was
very positive. The intent of the message we sent was to make it clear that
there was
an intent to actually make something out of these proposals, not to just let
them die
like some previous CMake efforts have.

Please notice that the message does not impose any "way of getting there",
nor does
it talk about technical superiority of one solution over the other. The
problems we believe
Boost needs to solve are

(1) Users have a hard time integrating Boost into their build system, which
is CMake
      more often than not (but not always, and we're trying to please the
majority here)
(2) Prospective Boost developpers are sometimes driven away from submitting
because
      they would have to use Boost's build system, which they don't know.

I can't speak for the Steering Committee as a whole, but I believe that
basically any solution
that solves the above two problems would satisfy the intent of the message
that was posted.

Louis