Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-18 18:40:44

> On 7/18/17 6:12 AM, Jon Kalb via Boost wrote:
>> Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community
>> our desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users and
>> developers alike.
>
>> We are soliciting comments and proposals from the community to guide the
>> process and the goals. Our desire is that the community can come to
>> consensus by the end of the calendar year with a vision of supporting
>> users and developers.
>
> With all due respect to the steering committee, I would have felt a lot
> better about this
>
> a) if the solicitations for .. proposals had occurred first
>
> b) announcement of intent would be later and be contingent or some sort
> of consensus on a particular proposal.
>
> As it reads - it sounds like a decision has been made to .... what
> exactly?
>
> Robert Ramey

I think I can apologize for the whole SC if this message was perceived as
coming "out of the blue", as this was clearly not the intent. Indeed, ideas
have been floating around on this list these pasts months and we wanted
to make a strong positive statement about our desire to solve the following
problems (which I've mentionned in a previous mail):

(1) Users have a hard time integrating Boost into their build system, which
is CMake
    more often than not (but not always, and we're trying to please the
majority here)

(2) Prospective Boost developpers are sometimes driven away from submitting
because
    they would have to use Boost's build system, which they don't know.

Furthermore, there was an implicit understanding that if the community as a
whole objected to any change or could not come to any consensus, nothing
would be forced onto it. However, the _intent_ is clear, and it is that
if we do have a good solution for solving problems (1) and (2), we should
do it (as opposed to rejecting it, like what has happened in the past).

I would love to see the Boost community come together and figure out how
we can solve problems (1) and (2) in the best possible way.

Louis