Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-18 23:25:28

On 19/07/2017 08:24, Chris Glover wrote:
> I use CMake for all of my personal and open source projects and it's great
> for that, but no company I have worked for has used CMake internally for
> anything. I'm sure that there are companies that do, but in my experience,
> every big C++ shop maintains their own custom build system so switching to
> CMake will add a new dependency that didn't previously exist. It's probably
> not a deal breaker, but it is a regression because every time I upgrade
> boost, I might need to upgrade CMake, and because we don't rely on system
> installed packages for anything I would need to upgrade CMake in our
> internal package manager before I can upgrade boost.

Possibly I'm in the minority (although I do work for a C++ company) but
I can confirm that we don't use CMake for anything. (I have encountered
it exactly once in an open source project [out of many others that don't
use it] and found it confusing and frustrating to use, much more so than
B2. But this is from the perspective of making it build existing code,
not from the perspective of writing build scripts for it, so YMMV.)

I can't speak to the technical merits of either (especially not writing
build scripts) but I can say that I don't find the current incarnation
of B2 hard to use, once you figure out the appropriate collection of
flags to use (which is reasonably well documented, but as always could
be better).

> What's nice about this is that there are no dependencies -- everything is
> completely self contained, and I like that.

Agreed. I don't even know how you get cmake on Windows, but it seems
like it would be annoying to maintain that separately. (And then deal
with possible conflicts between certain Boost versions needing specific
cmake versions.)

At the end of the day, as a user of Boost, I don't really care what it
uses as long as it Just Worksâ„¢. But this announcement seems a little
like putting the cart before the horse.