Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 00:01:43

> There is no doubt that all SC members mean only good for Boost and C++
> community, I know many of them as excellent developers who contributed a
> lot to Boost. However, other members of SC are not involved much, and
> some, including committee chair, do not seem to even have commit access
> to Boost. Again, I'm sure everybody meant only best, but something went
> wrong.

I've been keeping out of this thread and will continue to do so given my
past history on this topic, but I had to say something in response to
this above.

The Boost steering committee chair is, bar none, one of the great
pillars and foundation stones of the C++ community rivaling, perhaps
surpassing, Bjarne himself in terms of sustained and deep contribution
to the C++ ecosystem over such a long period. He has given of himself,
repeatedly, in such quantity and without fanfare nor publicity in such a
multitude of areas, that I find the request for him to resign beyond
consideration.

He has helped me personally with Boost GSoC over multiple years, found
*tens* of thousands of dollars of needed funding when needed, he has
gone out of his way to facilitate students and bring new blood into C++
and Boost, organised two of the major global C++ conferences for however
many years, and he is such a nice guy in general. I may not always agree
with Jon, but by God do I respect him and his judgements.

I'm sorry, but calling for him to resign is **unacceptable**. Period.

(and for your information, Jon does not have commit access to Boost **by
choice** for various reasons not important to this thread. Not for any
other reason, certainly nothing to do with lack of service to Boost)

Niall