Subject: [boost] Introducing the Backbone++ Programming Language
From: Phil Bouchard (philippeb8_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 05:19:57

Hello Boost,

(The former language name is already taken by Microsoft)

By taking advantage of the simplicity of the code of Javascript, the
power of C++ and the deterministic C++ memory manager Root.Ptr, I
decided to write my own programming language which takes advantage of
all these powerful features.

On the downside Javascript suffers from a slow garbage collector that
kicks in randomly which makes it impossible to write real-time engines
and C++ just doesn't have any objective memory manager up to this day.

My initial attempt was to convert Javascript into C++ but then the
principle of 'closures' and 'escape analysis' inlaid with Javascript
just makes it impossible to get rid of the garbage collector. So if we
sacrifice these principles away then we can integrate Root.Ptr and take
advantage of the power of C++ and the true flexibility and run-time
features of Javascript.

It has to be noted that BB++ is an extension of C++ and therefore
everything we can do in C++ can also be done in BB++ and vice-versa.

You can find the source code here:
https://github.com/philippeb8/root_ptr/tree/bb++/bbpp2cpp

And the benchmarks indicate BB++ is 3 times faster than Node.JS! Note
that the language is still in a preliminary state but we can already
compare it.

Furthermore, in theory, it should be possible to offer a service which
compiles the executables for combinations of major architecture / OS
only once, cache these executables on the webserver and executing them
in a specialized container on the client's desktop. This or convert the
file BB++ -> C++ -> WebAssembly. Thus, in theory, we would be able to
execute real-time engines from within our own browser!

So I am including Boost because the backend of BB++ is Root.Ptr and the
benefits are inevitable at this point. You can see here an example of
mixing BB++ with C++ code and how easy it is for the language to get rid
of cyclic references:
https://github.com/philippeb8/root_ptr/blob/bb++/bbpp2cpp/tests/input2.bb

Regards,
-Phil