Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Thorsten Ottosen (tottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 15:26:22

Den 18-07-2017 kl. 23:00 skrev Vladimir Prus via Boost:
> On 18/07/2017 16:12, Jon Kalb via Boost wrote:
>> Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community
>> our
> > desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users and
> > developers alike.

[snip]

> However, I can't call this decision process anything but broken. Since
> its founding, Boost was run by open discussions on a mailing list.

Very broken if this is the way the SC is going to announce things.

[snip]

> There is no doubt that all SC members mean only good for Boost and C++
> community,

I think they mean well, but one man's definition of "good" may not equal
another man's. However, the lack of SC people actually participating in
this thread is not a good sign.

[snip]

> I think that for future of Boost, it would be better if the Steering
> Committee immediately resign, and have an open election process for
> its replacement. Personally, I'll be happy to vote for many current
> members, but I feel that a governance based on open process will be
> better in the long run.

I don't know about that. The rules say:

"[...] It is not the role of the Steering Committee to inhibit this kind
of spontaneous leadership and action, which has served Boost and the
wider C++ community so well.
On the contrary, it is the role of the Steering Committee to facilitate
community-based leadership and decision making. The role of the
Committee is to be able to commit the organization to specific action
either where funds are required or where consensus cannot be reached,
but a decision must be made."

Did we see any community-based leadership and decision making? How do
one know/decide that a decision /must/ be made?

kind regards

Thorsten