Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Klemens Morgenstern (klemens.morgenstern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 16:46:03

Am 19.07.2017 um 18:38 schrieb Ion Gaztañaga via Boost:
> On 19/07/2017 18:08, Klemens Morgenstern via Boost wrote:
>> Fourthly I don't think the comittee does understand how much work
>> this will be for the maintainers of certain libraries, such as
>> boost.python. For header only libraries with trivial tests, I don't
>> think it'll be much work, but I don't see the steering comittee or
>> those crying for CMake doing the implementation for the more
>> compilicated libraries. This decision will put constraints on many
>> maintainers and some of them will see this as an artificial
>> requirement. Now we can handle that if we get paid; but for projects
>> we do for free, some of us will consider that too frustrating and
>> jump ship. And since the first response was Rene, I think this could
>> really hurt boost.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but paying for Boost.Build effort to better
> document it, clean it a bit and adding the feature of automatically
> generate CMake (and maybe the infrastructure to build system projects)
> and packagin utilities for major distros would be relatively cheap and
> extremely useful to easy the use of Boost.

That is just you. I give you the one on the the documentation, though it
would be a stretch to claim CMake is any better in that regard. "adding
the feature of automatically generate CMake" is a huge task and
completely pointless, if boost.build works.
Much better would be to extend the FindBoost.cmake with a small
descriptions of the steps to build boost if required.
> Like regressions test infrastructure, it's a basic building block for
> Boost so it should get a different treatment from other libraries.

And it's actually a tool used by people outside of boost. GIven the
announcement it just got killed off, which could be a first. I mean
boost maintains old libraries like boost.iostreams. Since we're not
deprecating tools, why not also throw out some libraries?