Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: paul (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-19 18:22:13

On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 11:23 -0600, Steven Watanabe via Boost wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 07/19/2017 10:58 AM, paul via Boost wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-07-19 at 12:39 -0400, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
> > >
> > > Please look at the 'lib' rule in Boost Build at
> > > http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/tasks/libraries.html and tell
> > > me why you think Boost Build does not support prebuilt libraries.
> > But it only searches along the default compiler paths and additional paths
> > added in the build script. There is no way for me to inform bjam that I
> > installed my dependencies in another directory.
> >
> b2 library-path=/deps

I was unaware of this, and Rene was as well. We were discussing adding flags
such as --library-<variant>-path.

> > That is, I installed my dependencies in /deps. So how do I tell boost to
> > look
> > for zlib and bzip2 there? I can't say `--prefix-path /deps` and it will
> > find
> > them. Instead I need to say `-s ZLIB_LIBPATH=/deps -s
> > BZIP2_LIBPATH=/deps`. A
> > custom variable for each one.
> >
> > That is just one issue, the other issue is that it doesn't provide usage
> > requirements for prebuilt libraries. I install a library with Boost.Build,
> > but
> > even even if downstream libraries are using Boost.Build, there is no
> > information available about the its usage requirements.
> >
> I'm afraid I don't understand.  pre-built library targets
> can have usage requirements just like any other target.

But where does it get those usage requirements from? It should come from the
original install. When I install boost(with b2 install or apt-get install), I
see no files with bjam targets I can use.