Subject: Re: [boost] [reflection] Which if any reflection library to use
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-20 16:04:58

On 20.07.2017 11:51, RAM via Boost wrote:

> I'm working on code that will need to use reflection, and would like
> to know if boost already has a reflection library, or uses one
> preferred library?
>
> I know there are future C++ proposals such as those listed below, and
> am curious if any of them have already been implemented somewhere?
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0590r0.pdf
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0385r2.pdf
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/p0194r2.html

I'm not aware of any recent effort, but years ago when David Abrahams
developed Boost.Python, the idea came up to separate out the
Python-specific parts, putting the remainder into a frontend-agnostic
"LangBinding" library, which would be mostly all about reflection. I
have no idea what state this is in, whether anything beyond some initial
planning was done to push that idea further. In any case, the current
Boost.Python project contains a lot of functionality that may suite your
needs.
(And if we can revive the idea of a language-agnostic "reflection" core,
and thus allow other language bindings (e.g. Lua) to be added, all the
better.)

Best,
        Stefan