Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-21 16:56:49

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:25 AM, Roger Leigh via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 2017-07-21 09:30, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:
>
>> The mailing list has recently been focussing on just that - the *how*.
>>
>> The *how* is looking feasible, but the *who* remains entirely unclear.
>>
>> So the Steering isn't going to happen without an engine of some expert
>> volunteers with enthusiasm and time.
>>
>> I ask again ... who?
>>

> If you would like volunteers to do this, can I sign up to assist? I've
> been keen on being able to build Boost with CMake for years, but didn't get
> involved due to not being a core Boost person, just an end user, and also
> because it looked like there were also a bunch of keen people already
> working on it. But if you want additional people on board, I'd be happy to
> contribute in whatever way I can.

Thanks, Roger. I think a reasonable first effort is to suggest one or more
concrete ways forward, like Perter Dimov did a couple of weeks ago. He had
example CMake code for people to play with and review, and it sounds like
you're quite qualified to do the same. There's been a lot of discussion in
the last few days about the manner in which all this has been presented.
IMO, what we need now is more concrete and technical efforts. Others may
disagree. :)

[snip]

Could I also point to the lengths I have to go to to build Boost as part of
> a larger project:

[snip]

I've encountered lots of issues along these lines over the years. This
sort of thing is why those of us who support CMake are for it.

> I hope the above isn't too upsetting or controversial. I wanted to
> provide some perspective from the point of view of an outsider and end
> user, and potential contributor, about what things are like from the other
> side.

I much appreciate this.

Zach