Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-22 12:31:53

> This is a case where Boost's policy of appending all of the
> toolset/configuration/threading model etc. to the library name is
> somewhat unique and, and generally incompatible with how the rest of the
> world works. In general, I've found it a hindrance to interoperability,
> and solving a problem which I didn't have in the first place. No one
> else does it, and there's likely a good reason for that! At most, I add
> a 'd' debug postfix on Windows, and that's it (this is handled by CMake
> as a standard behaviour). If I need multiple configurations, I build
> them separately and explicitly; I don't expect it of the build system
> itself.

As I already mentioned in another post, specifying the entire
configuration in the target name is exactly the right way to implement
modern cmake 3. Just make sure all target names REGEX cleanly, and
generate the target graph sets programmatically.

Note that the target name has nothing to do with the output name. That's
set by a property in cmake. It does default to the target name however.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting