Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Brian Wood (woodbrian77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-22 20:39:41

Klemens Morgenstern writes:
>Am 21.07.2017 um 22:50 schrieb Niall Douglas via Boost:
>
>> Some would say that what has been achieved so far is a pale shadow of
>> what would have been achieved without the self-serving elitism. If you
>> look at the bits of Boost which got into the C++ standard, they are very
>> obviously the simple bits. There's a lesson in that.
> Let's see:
>
> Without templates
> - boost.system_error
> - boost.error_code
> - boost.thread
> - boost.filesystem
>
> With type erasure:
> - boost.any
> - boost.function
>
> With templates:
> - boost.SmartPtr
> - boost.variant
> - boost.optional
> - boost.bind
> - boost.tuple
>
> Template black magic:
> - boost.type_traits
> - boost.asio (probably as the networking TS)
> - boost.EnableIf
>
> May I ask what you based your statement on? Did you even look at the
> list or would actually checking facts be elitism?

I think you have to "chew the meat and spit the bones" (*)
when it comes to Boost and the standard. And you left out
the best one imo -- array. String_view is a good one also.
On the other hand, I avoid std::any and I'm skeptical about
filesystem. I make conservative use of unique_ptr and
try to avoid shared_ptr.

(*) My rabbi in Austin, Texas used to say this -- not in
relation to Boost though.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises
http://webEbenezer.net