Subject: Re: [boost] Switch to CMake -- Analysis
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-22 22:21:48

On 22/07/2017 10:29, degski via Boost wrote:
> On 22 July 2017 at 10:17, Daniela Engert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yet another dependency - yay!
>

> Thisisi a rather big word, isn't it? Just dump the exe in a folder included
> in the path and forget about it.
>

>> With every suggestion on how to get around
>> deficiencies of CMake when it comes to actually build (and test)
>> something things are getting more complicated.
>

> It's a deficiency of nmake jom is fixing, not of CMake.

Just to disagree, I think it's a deficiency (one of the biggest one) of
CMake because CMake, as a "build" tool, does not support parallel builds
because it depends on other build tools, including bad ones. I really
don't understand why CMake can't build things directly, it's one of its
biggest deficiencies.

One of the most important requirements of a build tool is to build
software *fast* and *portably*, without having to rely on other programs.

Best,

Ion