Subject: Re: [boost] base64?
From: Roger Leigh (rleigh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-24 16:54:51

On 24/07/17 16:28, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Greger via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I also see this note:
>>
>>> It is available for a moderate compensation. Let me know by
>>> email and I will send you the source.
>
> Is this library open source or commercial in nature? What license is
> it furnished under? Also, how is this better than the numerous other
> base64 libraries (which are free) such as this one:
>
> <http://renenyffenegger.ch/notes/development/Base64/Encoding-and-decoding-base-64-with-cpp>

Or https://github.com/ome/ome-common-cpp/blob/master/lib/ome/common/base64.h

which I probably wrote based on a similar source when I realised the
Boost base64 support was broken and needed a quick implementation. It
avoids allocation issues by allowing the use of iterators including
back_inserter.

We already have base64 conversion in
boost/archive/iterators/*base64*.hpp. It works but screws up the
whitespace
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10521581/base64-encode-using-boost-throw-exception/10973348#10973348).
  It's a shame the various adapters don't work properly together; is
there any prospect of this being fixed, or is the existing design simply
too inflexible to make a proper base64 implementation?

Regards,
Roger