Subject: Re: [boost] cmake target and binary name mangling
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-25 21:35:27

>> As we also previously discussed, the easy way out of that is to
>> enforce all header, all static or all shared.
>
> But this is not possible in general as not all libraries support
> header-only.
>
> The preference for header-only, if supported, is orthogonal to the
> preference for static or shared. In sl/dl terms, it's not sl/dl/hl, it's
> sl/dl/slh/dlh, so that when you propagate downstream through a
> header-only library, the s/d isn't lost.

I think you're overcomplicating things.

If a header only library has a dependency on a non-header only library
capable of either static or shared usage, then the header only library
simply advertises itself as having static or shared usage only. Not
header only.

In other words, header only targets means "nothing to link if you use
this". Does this make sense now?

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting