Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-27 16:10:22

Although there was obviously enthusiasm for a build tool by its authors and successful users,
and they would not be human otherwise.

There were, and still are, doubts about whether and how CMake could replicate it. And there was nobody offering who knew enough to
advise and willing to act.

Previous effort had stalled, perhaps because earlier CMake could not then replicate the effect of bjam jamfiles?

It is only recently, (before the SC missive), that people are beginning to provide solutions and explanations, and some are even
offering to actually put I the effort to make CMake work.

I'm still very concerned at the work involved by all the many library authors to change; we have enough trouble with maintenance
already :-(

I strongly disapprove of the manner of the Steering Committee announcement, but it has certainly broken a logjam; of course, there
will be downstream damage from the logs!

I don't think that continuing this recriminating conversation about the past is going to be helpful.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse