Subject: Re: [boost] Microsoft vs The Boost License
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-05 17:39:09

On 5 August 2017 at 19:11, Phil Bouchard via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Well we can look at the logs of block_ptr / root_ptr which date back to
> February 2016 on Github and Mr. Sutter's first commit ironically was done
> later in September of the same year.

For a similar idea <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_pointer> a patent
was filed in 2002, by IBM and Michael Maged (and it seems Andrei
Alexandrescu was involved as well). As you can read, the application was
abandoned in 2010, which says all about how difficult/usefull this approach
is. I think it's best to forget about it. I surmise that any production
ready M$ code is highly unlikely to look anything close to your code
(no-body writes code like that :-)), god it's ugly). and prior art can
possibly be demonstrated.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798