Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request: impl_ptr (pimpl)
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-22 23:07:05

On 08/23/2017 08:18 AM, Gary Furnish via Boost wrote:
> Yeah, I like the general idea and I like not having 5000
> implementations of similar things floating around. I need to study
> it a bit more, those were just my initial 5 min check suggestions.

You nailed it. That is exactly why I feel it is useful. When I look at
it in isolation, as an individual developer, I think "meh, big deal".
When I have to review somebody else's code day in and day out, then
being able to instantly see/recognize an applied/used pattern is hugely
important. That makes the reviewer's life so much easier, the review
much quicker and more robust. In safety-related industries (air, rail,
military) those are an essential part of dev. process. Having to review
5 submissions, analyze what the hell's going on there, what patterns
they implement, if they missed/misused copy/move
constructors/assignments is damn mind-numbing. Same goes for code
maintenance. impl_ptr helps great deal IMO.