Subject: Re: [boost] [iterator] What documentation is actual?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-26 20:45:00

On 8/26/2017 3:40 PM, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> On 08/26/17 22:12, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
>> On 8/26/2017 1:52 PM, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While moving next_prior.hpp to Boost.Iterator I've noticed that thete
>>> are basically two versions of the documentation in Boost.Iterator:
>>> rst and QuickBook. It seems like QuickBook is in progress of being
>>> written and is largely a conversion of rst, but is incomplete in some
>>> places.
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask what's the plan about it?
>>
>> The rst doc is being distributed. I have no idea when the quickbook
>> version was begun and why it did not replace the rst doc. I am not
>> even sure how the rst doc gets regenerated.
>
> I don't think it does. The Jamfile builds QuickBook, but
> iterator/index.html redirects to iterator/doc/index.html (not
> iterator/doc/html/index.html) which is committed in git along with other
> htmls generated from rst. So essentially QuickBook gets built but not used.

I meant that I do not know how the rst files are transformed to the html
and pdf files. It looks like it is done through generate.py and a
GNUmakefile but the GNUmakefile tells us that the correct makefile is at
http://www.boost-consulting.com/writing/GNUmakefile, which no longer
exists. So it really is that we can no longer regenerate the distributed
documentation for iterator from the rst files.