Subject: Re: [boost] Travis/Appveyor improvements for the superproject
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-20 14:28:32

> Edward Diener wrote:
>> On 9/20/2017 9:33 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> > Travis and Appveyor tests for the Boost superproject have been
>> improved > to automatically run the tests for the library mentioned in
>> the commit > message. For example, if the message is "Update iterator
>> from develop", > the corresponding CI job runs the tests of the
>> Iterator library (among > other things).
>>
>> When does the superproject automatically run tests for an individual
>> library ? When the superproject itself gets updated, or when any given
>> submodule gets updated ? I suspect the former.
>
> There is a script that, when a submodule repo is updated, updates the
> superproject to point at the new submodule commit.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/commits/develop
>
> All those commits by "boost-commitbot" are done by this script.
>
> The CI scripts that are invoked per superproject commit parse the commit
> message "Update atomic from develop" and run the tests of the updated
> submodule (Atomic in this case):
>
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/boostorg/boost/build/1.0.3771-develop

Shouldn't the hole boost repo be tested when a library changes? bjam
should just run tests that only depend on those headers.

Otherwise, a library could just break several libraries but we would not
catch them until the dependent library is updated. Or this "test whole
boost" tasks is delegated to the regression testers?

Best,

Ion