Subject: Re: [boost] Including open source, non-copyright, no warranty in a boost library
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-24 01:16:59

James E. King, III wrote:
> I found an open source MD5 implementation of RFC 1321 at the following
> location and I was wondering if there are rules against bringing it into
> boost as a detail implementation?
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/people/solar/software/public-domain-source-code/md5

The code at that link says:

 * This software was written by Alexander Peslyak in 2001. No copyright is
 * claimed, and the software is hereby placed in the public domain.
 * In case this attempt to disclaim copyright and place the software in the
 * public domain is deemed null and void, then the software is
 * Copyright (c) 2001 Alexander Peslyak and it is hereby released to the
 * general public under the following terms:
 *
 * modification, are permitted.
 *
 * There's ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, express or implied.

IANAL, but I think that's fine for Boost.

The "deemed null and void..." text is important because there are (many?)
jurisdictions internationally where the concept of "placing in the
public domain" does not exist; approximately, everything has to be
owned by someone. This copyright notice was clearly written by
someone reasonably cluefull.

Regards, Phil.