Subject: Re: [boost] Preferred way to simulate system calls
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-06 22:57:13

On 11/07/17 01:00, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:
> I like to test every branch, and I have a class that calls
> open/read/close. It uses a hardcoded filename ("/dev/urandom"). It is a
> template in a detail namespace. What's the "boost way" when it comes to
> mocking these system calls? Should I make protected methods that normally
> call open/read/close, then subclass in a test and override them with
> different logic to force error paths?

I'm not aware of any mocking support in Boost. But I would be opposed
if, for the sake of testing, you would mangle the code so that
functionality or performance is affected. I.e. what you describe would
require these methods to be virtual, which is absolutely useless and
harmful in normal use.

I guess, if you really want to test you're actually calling
open/read/close, you could build a mocking library and use LD_PRELOAD to
inject it into the test. Or you could implement those functions in the
test itself, so that they are resolved to by the linker. Unfortunately,
I'm afraid you will have to deal with platform-specific linker API to
forward unrelated calls to the real open/read/close functions.

I don't think it is necessary to do a this deep test though. If you can
reasonably test that the generation works as expected (i.e. 10 calls
return 10 different conforming UUIDs), that would be enough. If you can
test the generator by replacing the random_device used in the test,
that's great. Just don't add any unnecessary overhead for that and don't
make it easy to use the test code in real code by accident.