Subject: Re: [boost] [gil][test] HOWTO set up the Boost testing process for projects with extra prerequisites ?
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-17 16:51:26

On 17.11.2017 11:42, Steven Watanabe via Boost wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 11/17/2017 09:29 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:
>> I just merged some work to GIL's `develop` branch. This notably involves
>> improvements to the testing infrastructure. Testing GIL is a bit
>> involved, as it requires various backend libraries (PNG, JPEG, TIFF,
>> etc.) to be installed. While the stand-alone testing works fine
>> (https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/.travis.yml#L304-L306),
>> the integrated testing will thus fail, until the testing logic is
>> augmented by the necessary instructions to a) install the prerequisites
>> and b) invoke the build system with the appropriate flags
>> (https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/io/test/Jamfile#L13-L22)
>>
> Please use the Boost.Build modules for these libraries
> instead. You can make the tests run only when the
> corresponding libraries are available, like this:
>
> using zlib ;

That would be
https://github.com/boostorg/build/blob/develop/src/tools/zlib.jam, yes ?

> run png_test.cpp
> : # args
> : # input-files
> : # requirements
> [ ac.check-library /zlib//zlib : <library>/zlib//zlib : <build>no ]
> # in English, if the library is found, use it, otherwise,
> # skip this test
> ;

So not only are you opposed to the idea to modularize Boost's build
logic, you also want to compile all prerequisites in the same monolithic
bundle ? That's insane !

Or have I misunderstood what you are proposing ?

Stefan