Subject: Re: [boost] [gil][test] HOWTO set up the Boost testing process for projects with extra prerequisites ?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-17 17:02:40

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 11/17/2017 09:29 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:
> >
> > I just merged some work to GIL's `develop` branch. This notably involves
> > improvements to the testing infrastructure. Testing GIL is a bit
> > involved, as it requires various backend libraries (PNG, JPEG, TIFF,
> > etc.) to be installed. While the stand-alone testing works fine
> > (https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/.travis.yml#L304-L306),
> > the integrated testing will thus fail, until the testing logic is
> > augmented by the necessary instructions to a) install the prerequisites
> > and b) invoke the build system with the appropriate flags
> > (https://github.com/boostorg/gil/blob/develop/io/test/Jamfile#L13-L22)
> >

> Please use the Boost.Build modules for these libraries
> instead. You can make the tests run only when the
> corresponding libraries are available, like this:
>
> using zlib ;
>
> run png_test.cpp
> : # args
> : # input-files
> : # requirements
> [ ac.check-library /zlib//zlib : <library>/zlib//zlib : <build>no ]
> # in English, if the library is found, use it, otherwise,
> # skip this test
> ;

Although ideally it should be:

import zlib ;

run ... ;

And then ask the testers to add the appropriate "using zlib ... ;" to their
configuration. And that should also include any CI testing you do also.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything