Subject: Re: [boost] [gil][test] HOWTO set up the Boost testing process for projects with extra prerequisites ?
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-17 17:30:42

AMDG

On 11/17/2017 10:10 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:
> On 17.11.2017 11:59, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost <
>> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Or have I misunderstood what you are proposing ?
>>>
>> ^^ That..
>>
>> <https://github.com/boostorg/build/blob/develop/src/tools/zlib.jam#L73>
>
> OK, much better. But that doesn't answer the original question: How does
> a tester need to set up his system (and configure the build) for the GIL
> IO tests to work ?
> In either case does he
>
> a) need to install additional libraries
> b) add instructions (no matter whether it's a `-s...` command line
> option or an entry in the `user-config.jam` file) to locate them.

  Right. We should probably have a list
of additional dependencies here:
http://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html

> So with our current process we need to make all testers aware of that,
> or else the GIL tests will fail. (And no, I don't consider testing with
> in-process-built-prereq libs an option, as that doesn't represent the
> world that our users live in).

  Building the prerequisite libraries is not
really any different, as it just moves the
problem to finding the sources.

> It's this existing practice that leads to a lot of noise in the test
> matrix (at least for the Boost.Python tests), as there are a ton of test
> runs that simply aren't set up correctly, and thus making it hard to
> identifying which of the many test failures are significant and should
> be acted upon by developers, rather than ignored.

  The method I described won't generate as much noise,
as the tests are skipped instead of failing if the
library can't be found.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe