Subject: Re: [boost] Adding polymorphic_value to boost
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-20 13:37:00

Jonathan Coe wrote:
> I'd like to propose adding the class-template `polymorphic_value` to
> boost.
>
> `polymorphic_value` is designed to allow the compiler to correctly
> generate special member functions for classes with polymorphic components
> (It's `any` with an interface).
>
> `polymorphic_value` has been proposed for standardisation in P0201 and has
> advanced through the Library Evolution group in Albuquerque (Nov 5-10).
> https://wg21.link/p0201

Has the name "polymorphic_value" been bike-shedded already?

It's a good name in principle, but not good from a usability point of view;
too long, too hard to type without errors in the absence of autocompletion.

- poly_value?
- any_value?
- basic_any?

Also,

- poly

seems to be popular, but it's probably too short.