Subject: Re: [boost] Announcement: Faber, a new build system based on bjam
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-21 20:02:49

The hard questions:

1. Can it cross-compile to iOS, android, OSX, linux and windows out of the box? (i.e. without me having to specify any magic command line options, environment variables or write any nasty scripts in some new syntax)

2. Can it identify, download and build dependencies automatically, using the correct toolset?

3. Will it create install scripts?

4. Will it package executables and libraries for later consumption?

5. will it build and deploy directly into docker?

These are the only questions I have regarding a build engine.

At the moment I use CMAKE with Hunter and Polly. Although it has a hideous syntax, this combination at least fulfils the basic requirements of a c++ cross-compiling build system in the modern age.

Currently nothing else does.