Subject: Re: [boost] Announcement: Faber, a new build system based on bjam
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-30 12:32:58

I'm with Hans on this.

The underlying problem is that we have run out of words that mean 'thingamajig'.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”

Every time you want a 'thingamajig', it is different thing and you have not only to define it (easy-ish), but get that definition into the mind of the reader (much more difficult) and until you achieve the latter, you will leave the user confused.

Choosing a word like 'artefact' that has multiple customary meanings is asking for more confusion.

It's tricky because all the words you might chose have another definition already from some other application and so are 'taken' in peoples' minds.

No specific suggestions have popped into my mind.

But it would be better to call it 'thing' than artefact!

Paul

PS '$(>)' really, really turns me off :-(