Subject: Re: [boost] Optional third-party libraries
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-09 19:42:47

Hugely useful. Thank you!

On 9 Dec 2017 8:38 pm, "James E. King, III via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

The boost documentation on the web site talks about building boost from
source, but I don't see information on how to leverage optional third party
libraries easily accessible in the documentation from the place the user
will most likely end up: "Building From Source". This information seems to
be tucked away in documentation of various components, making it difficult
to actually build a complete boost.

I think it would be a good idea to bring this information up to the top
level build instructions, at the very least itemize these third party
packages and then link to the relevant project-specific documentation pages
that talk about configuring to use them.

Here are the third party optional libraries I know about so far and the
libraries that use them:

bzip2 (iostreams)
iconv (locale - if icu not available)
icu (locale, regex)
lzma (iostreams)
openssl (asio, beast)
pthread-win32 (sync, thread)
zlib (beast, gil, iostreams)

Any others? Would folks find it useful if this information was part of the
standard "Building From Source" sections of the upper layers of
documentation?

Thanks,

Jim