Subject: Re: [boost] [release] Boost 1.66.0 Release Candidate 2
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-15 10:10:51

On 14 December 2017 at 16:11, Peter Dimov via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>>
>> "Info: Boost.Config is older than your compiler version - probably nothing
>> bad will happen - but you may wish to look for an update Boost version.
>> Define BOOST_CONFIG_SUPPRESS_OUTDATED_MESSAGE to suppress this message."
>>
>> generates so much noise, could it be suppressed for 15.5 if the updates to
>> config can't be included?
>

> I agree that this message isn't going to make us many new friends, and that
> it doesn't provide much value in this specific case.

You've both been aware if this message for several weeks, and it comes
up every time there's a new Visual C++, so it's a bit awkward to ask
for something to be done a few days before the release. A release
candidate thread is pretty much the worst place to deal with a long
standing problem. We don't have testers for the new version of Visual
Studio yet, so the warning message is entirely correct. Silencing it
would do no favours to anyone who relies on it. I suppose the question
is whether anyone really does rely on it, but making a design change
at this late stage is probably a bad idea.

If you want to discuss this, I'd suggest starting a new thread, and
putting '[config]' in the subject, so that it will get the attention
of the appropriate people. Release managers shouldn't force a change
on a library that's working as intended, unless it's causing failures.