Subject: Re: [boost] [release] Boost 1.66.0 Release Candidate 2
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-17 23:26:32

On 12/18/17 00:41, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 17 December 2017 at 18:31, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Will there be another RC?
>>
>> I have been informed of this problem:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/log/issues/44
>>
>> which is basically a potential conflict between Boost.Thread and Boost.Log
>> on Windows if headers from both libraries are included. In particular, the
>> problematic header in Boost.Log is boost/log/utility/permissions.hpp, which
>> is only used for IPC-related functionality.
>>
>> The fix is in develop:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/log/commit/525c53b1a735f21d9b51d432b93a79f4f8b73c6b
>>
>> If there is a chance to include it in 1.66, I would like to do it.
>>
>> If not, could the link to this commit be added to the release notes?
>
> I wasn't planning on another release candidate, but if including the
> headers from two libraries causes a compile failure, that seems pretty
> serious.

It's not *any* headers but rather permissions.hpp from Boost.Log and
some headers from Boost.Thread (I'm not sure which as there are multiple
headers in Boost.Thread that could make use of Boost.WinAPI, which could
cause the conflict). I don't think other libraries using Boost.WinAPI
are affected because, unlike Boost.Thread, they have their own
namespaces. Also, IPC is not the core functionality of Boost.Log, so the
library is not completely useless without it, but surely its users can
be affected.

In any case, I'm planning to merge the fix to master tomorrow, although
it won't make it into the release per se. The commit should apply
cleanly over the current master (i.e. it can be cherry-picked to
release). Please, let me know if you think it's not important enough to
delay the release so that I can prepare a PR for the release notes.