Subject: Re: [boost] [hash] Extract module from functional + std::hash_combine
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-12-19 15:48:16

Daniel James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to extract hash from functional into its own module, as that
> will apparently break the circular dependencies that functional is part
> of. Any objections? Also, any opinions on what the module should be
> called? 'hash' might suggest a more general purpose hash function, so
> maybe it should be called something more specific.

If we name the module 'hash' it's not hard to see that in the future it will
be seen as the obvious home for implementations of MD5, SHA-*, and other
hash algorithms (FNV-1a, cityhash...) which we do miss in Boost. So there
will be pressure to add them, pull requests implementing them, and so on.

The question is do we see this as a bad thing?

The alternative would be to go with a name like 'hash_core', but that's not
necessarily an improvement.