Subject: Re: [boost] Changing the website (Was: Need help with bootstrap.bat)
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-03 16:47:17

On 1/3/18 6:14 AM, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 3 January 2018 at 13:27, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> I consider this more important than where actually the content is
hosted.

> Sure, but from my perspective the problem is that no one is
> maintaining a lot of these pages. If there's a simple way to make it
> easier for other people to do it, then I'd like to explore that.
> Making proposals to reorganize the website is nice, but is anyone
> going to do it?
The whole website thing is ripe for some really great idea. We need some
new ideas/approaches here.

a) It has to be composed of simpler more orthogonal parts
b) Each of which can be easily and sort of maintained by a large number
of individuals who have responsabiity for their own parts
c) It has to be easy to do
d) Use simple tools which are going to be around for a while
e) Create a shared UI/css, etc so that understanding one part means that
a user understands the other parts, etc.
f) It has to address security issues
g) It would be nice to have the ability for users to add information to
web pages - corrections etc. Maybe git hub issues would work for this.

I don't know anything which really encompasses all of the above, but
there are somethings which have good/helpful models for some aspects of
the above.

cppreference has a good model for shared look and feel across widely
varying types of content - language, libraries, etc. It is also
updatable by members. Something built on this would also be able to
incorporate library independently created documentation with a common
look and feel. The guy who created this gave a great talk at CppCon a
couple of years ago. Maybe we need to invite him to C++Now (BoostCon?)
to get some ideas.

Of course github has worked out well ideal for managing content for such
a thing.

I'm skeptical of things like php, or ... the flavor of the month web
design tool. Anything that tries to do too much seems to lead into a
cul-de-sac.

Some of these ideas I've tried to prototype in the incubator with
limited success.

To summarize, this is a huge topic. I'm sort of skeptical that we have
the resources (of varied kinds) to actually do it. But if one's reach
is not beyond his grasp - what's a heaven for? (apologies to Robert Burns)

Robert Ramey