Subject: Re: [boost] Changing the website (Was: Need help with bootstrap.bat)
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-05 15:27:18

> Let me share with you my recent experience. I was looking for something
> like "getting started for Boost developers" and could not find a place.In
> the front page there is section "INTRODUCTION", but it looks like content
> for potential users (rather than developers). There is section
> "DEVELOPMENT" but the content is more like "how to submit a new library",
> but no "getting started with developement" (on somebody else's library)
> There is a "WELCOME" -> "Getting started", but it looks like one for the
> users. (it recommends downloading a zip file).
>
> There is this non-obvious path: DEVELOPEMENT -> Reporting and Fixing Bugs.
> While there, click on "git repositories". It opens a stub page that says it
> has been superseded by another, and when you push on a link you get there.
> But this really should be simpler.
>
> Maybe in the front page we should have "DEVELOPMENT" -> "Getting Started"
> that links directly to https://github.com/boostorg/
> boost/wiki/Getting-Started
>
> Or maybe the topics should be divided differently:
>
> - Getting started with using Boost Libraries
> - Getting started with applying improvements to existing Libraries
> - Getting started with submitting a new library.
>
> I consider this more important than where actually the content is hosted.

In the same spirit, I am missing instructions on how to build documentation
for the libraries. This bootstrapping gives the impression that the boost
package is self-contained. But when I try to build docs from any library
using Quickbook, say type_erasure, I am getting errors from b2:

```
error: xsltproc: Could not run "xsltproc" -V.
'xsltproc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
```
Apparently, having `xsltproc` is a prerequisite, but it is not mentioned in
the "Getting Started" wiki:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Getting-Started

Is there a place where I can find prerequisites like this one? (and
document them on Wiki).

Another one. I am not sure if it is related to Boost.Config, or generally
to "Boost basics" I was trying to add another macro to Boost.Config. I
followed the instructions at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_66_0/libs/config/doc/html/boost_config/guidelines_for_boost_authors.html#boost_config.guidelines_for_boost_authors.adding_new_defect_macros
One thing it says is "Document the macro in this documentation (please do
not forget this step!!)" Because the doc folder contains both QBK and HTML
files, I assume that I should modify the QBK files, run b2, and the
corresponding HTML files will get updated. But when I run b2, I get message

Performing configuration checks

> - 32-bit : no (cached)
> - 64-bit : yes (cached)
> - arm : no (cached)
> - mips1 : no (cached)
> - power : no (cached)
> - sparc : no (cached)
> - x86 : yes (cached)
> - symlinks supported : no (cached)
> - junctions supported : yes (cached)
> - hardlinks supported : yes (cached)
> WARNING: Unable to construct ./standalone of type BOOSTBOOK with these
> properties: <abi>ms <address-model>64 <architecture>x86
> <asynch-exceptions>off <binary-format>pe
> <conditional>@Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>%Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>.handle-static-runtime
> <conditional>@Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>%boostcpp.deduce-address-model
> <conditional>@Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>%boostcpp.deduce-architecture
> <conditional>@Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>%threadapi-feature.detect
> <context-impl>fcontext <context-switch>cc <debug-symbols>on
> <deduced-address-model>64 <deduced-architecture>x86
> <define>BOOST_ALL_NO_LIB=1 <exception-handling>on <extern-c-nothrow>off
> <format>html <hardcode-dll-paths>true <host-os>windows
> <implicit-dependency>object(notfile-target)@3287 <include>../../..
> <inlining>off <install-dependencies>off <link>shared <optimization>off
> <os>NT <pch>on <preserve-test-targets>on <profiling>off
> <python-debugging>off <rtti>on <runtime-debugging>on <runtime-link>shared
> <stdlib>native <strip>off <suppress-import-lib>false
> <symlink-location>project-relative
> <tag>@Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>%Jamfile<C:\_source\boost>.tag
> <target-os>windows <testing.execute>on <threadapi>win32 <threading>single
> <toolset-gcc:flavor>mingw <toolset-gcc:linker-type>gnu
> <toolset-gcc:version>7.2.0 <toolset>gcc <user-interface>console
> <variant>debug <vectorize>off <warnings-as-errors>off <warnings>on
> <xsl:param>admon.graphics=1 <xsl:param>boost.defaults=Boost
> <xsl:param>boost.root=../../../.. <xsl:param>chunk.section.depth=1
> <xsl:param>toc.max.depth=2 <xsl:param>toc.section.depth=2
> WARNING: Considered these as possible generators:
> WARNING: quickbook.quickbook-to-boostbook with source types { QUICKBOOK }
> and requirements { }
> ...patience...
> ...patience...
> ...found 3644 targets...

And the HTML content is not updated. Maybe I am missing something obvious
that every Boost developer knows?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
&rzej;