Subject: [boost] Bug report rejected as conformant
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-13 18:45:10

I recently reported a preprocessor bug in Oracle C++ 12.6 on their
online forum when compiling a C program example. I even cited the C11
standard in showing that Oracle C++ 12.6's actions were non-conformant.
The answer I was given, from an Oracle C++ developer who said he was a
member of the C++ standard committee, is that since Oracle C++ 12.6
gives a warning message rather than a compiler error the compiler was
compliant with the C standard, since the standard only requires a
diagnostic message to be considered standard compliant when it does not
implement the compiler according to the standard, and that a warning was
a diagnostic message. Furthermore since there was a way to force the
particular warning to be considered an error, Oracle was not going to
change their compiler. At that point I "lost it" so to speak.

I cannot conceive that any C/C++ standard would specify that giving a
warning rather than an error, when not complying with the C/C++
standard, would then make the compiler compliant. Comments ?