Subject: Re: [boost] [system] Would it be possible to trial a breaking change to Boost.System and see what happens?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-14 00:48:19

Niall Douglas wrote:

> Peter's LWG defect resolution - as far as I understand it - needs some
> extra compiler magic in the form of Immortalize.

No, you're reading that incorrectly, it requires no compiler magic, it's
implementable today. In the typical case it's just

extern const __system_category_impl __syscat;

constexpr error_category const& system_category()
{
    return __syscat;
}

When I proposed that, Billy O'Neal from MS objected that their
system_category does extra "immortalization" so constexpr is
unimplementable. So I gave a proof of concept of how their "immortalization"
can be implemented to still be constexpr.

I should probably just add the relevant constexpr's to Boost.System.