Subject: Re: [boost] [system] Would it be possible to trial a breaking change to Boost.System and see what happens?
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-15 03:54:46

On 14/01/2018 18:02, Peter Dimov wrote:
> `f` should not need to know what errors are being returned by `do_f1`,
> `do_f2`, `do_f3`, in order to check whether the calls succeeded; the
> whole point of using error_code is that errors from different domains
> can be handled in a generic manner.
>
> This is similar to exceptions; `f` needs not know what callees can
> throw. Today, `do_f1` is implemented with backend A, so it throws
> A-flavored exceptions; tomorrow, it switches to backend B and throws
> B-flavored exceptions. The logic in `f` doesn't change.
>
> In the same way, whether `do_f1` returns error codes of category A or
> category B should not matter for the logic in `f`. There must exist a
> generic way to test for failure. If !ec is not it, well, then !ec
> shouldn't be used and we need something that is and should be.

I think Christopher's assertion works in a world where error_codes are
never blindly propagated upwards; regardless of whether library X uses
library A or library B under the hood, it must only return standard
errors or library X errors to its external callers, never library A or B
errors. (It's up to the library itself when to do the conversion, but
it usually makes the most sense to do it as soon as possible.)

I think the general consensus from the Outcome discussion was that this
is not the desired practice and that error_codes are indeed supposed to
be propagated unmodified for the most part.

I haven't quite worked out yet where I stand on that; I think I'd prefer
if the error codes were converted but it was still possible to obtain a
"history" of an error, somewhat like nested exceptions. But I also
recognise that that could have significant performance drawbacks.