Subject: Re: [boost] Reforming Boost.System and <system_error> round 2
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-16 01:57:48

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Niall Douglas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Myself and Peter feel this is worth fixing despite the increased runtime
> overhead. Others, including one of its original inventors, feel it is
> too much overhead.

I must ask once again how do we know it is "too much" overhead? Where is
the real-world program which would be impossible or difficult to write
otherwise?

For some reason I never get an actual answer, and instead it's always
something along the lines of "I'm an expert, trust me, I know". Well, I
don't. Sorry.

This applies to C++ exception handling and error handling in general. Yes,
I know, there is overhead -- but where is the proof that 1) it matters, and
2) it's not worth it?

Emil