Subject: Re: [boost] yomm2 - open methods
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-21 03:43:46

AMDG

On 01/19/2018 11:23 AM, Jean-Louis Leroy via Boost wrote:

> in 2013 I posted a proposal for an "open multi-methods" library, see
> here: https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2013/07/205383.php Due to
> insufficient interest, I did not go forward with a formal submission,
> and I published my work on github, under the name yomm11.
>
> <snip>> Well I am just touching base to see if things have evolved and if
> there might now be an interest in seeing this in Boost.

A couple of random comments:
- I feel like it should be possible to get rid of YOMM2_END
  by moving the function body out-of-line or using a lambda
  or something.
- The documentation isn't clear on how the one-definition-rule
  applies (unless I missed it). My default assumption would
  be that YOMM2_DEFINE for a given overload should appear in
  exactly one translation unit, and that YOMM2_DECLARE and
  YOMM2_CLASS may appear in multiple translation units so
  long as the declarations are identical, but I notice that
  they're /all/ using unnamed namespaces. All of your examples
  only use a single source file, so I can't really guess your
  intentions from usage either.
- I'm curious why I would ever want to use the "cute" names
  when they're actually longer than the YOMM2 names.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe