Subject: Re: [boost] [system] Would it be possible to trial a breaking change to Boost.System and see what happens?
From: Asbjørn (lordcrc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-22 11:54:40

On 22.01.2018 12:22, Richard Hodges via Boost wrote:
> It has just occurred to me that the name std::error_code is a misnomer.
>
> What this structure actually represents is *result code* and a domain*.* It
> has been correctly pointed out that sometimes result codes are not errors
> (e.g. errno == EINTR during a select())
>
> In hindsight perhaps it should have been called std::result_code(code,
> std::system_call_domain()).

FWIW, when making my own async IO library in another language, I was inspired by
error_code and made something similar. I quickly came to the same conclusion
that the name did not accurately reflect the use, and renamed it op_result.

I also found the implicit bool conversion was very error prone, as I managed to
trip myself a few times when writing examples. So I got rid of it, and
introduced an explicit op_result.success() method which does a virtual call to
the category.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

- Asbjørn