Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] uuid test_serialization ubsan error
From: Robert (r.firl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-01 23:25:12

On 1/20/2018 10:32 AM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 1/19/18 9:03 PM, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 11:55 PM, James E. King, III <jking_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting a ubsan test error in uuid/test/test_serialization - is the
>>> code in that test using archive the right way?
>
> I saw new test failures in the test matrix under Darwin/Marshall-UBSAN
> but I don't see them now.  It's totally believable to me that there is
> some undefined behavior in the serialization library implementation.  In
> fact, it may well be that the serialization library cannot perform all
> it's functionality or pass all it's tests without using undefined
> behavior.  Of course this would raise a number of interesting questions
> but first I want to spend some time looking at this.  I don't have time
> right now but I will get to it.  I have one other subtle pending issue
> to resolve.  Neither of these are "quick fixes" that one can just
> implement with some serious thought.

Is the other pending issue this:
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/ticket/13354? From what we have found with
Visual Studio 2017, 15.5.4 and newer, the cppunit teardown() is doing
something it likely should not. The solution we are using in the
affected test cases is to add internal scoping braces around the
serialization code. The cppunit teardown() call no longer interferes
with the 1.66 serialization implementation, inside the
basic_xml_grammar.ipp, approximately line 196.

Sincerely,

Robert