Subject: Re: [boost] [build] msvc-14 linker step failing?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn.roald_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-07 19:40:01

> On 5 Feb 2018, at 18:29, John Maddock via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> For a while, I ran vs2015 and vs2017 alongside each other (officially
>> supported setup) and it became messy. In the end I did like you, I ditched
>> vs2015 and reinstalled vs2017, no issues!
>
> Like you I've been using VS2017 exclusively, but for testing Boost stuff nothing beats having a whole bunch of compilers installed locally….

It is not clear to me why you need both VS2015 and VS2017 installed to have a bunch of compilers locally. VS2017 installer gives you the option of installing older compilers as additional toolkits. This give you additional Visual Studio 2015 Cross Tools Command Prompts and all. I don’t think this is supported for compilers from VS2012 and older, so in that case you need to install them separately.

—
Bjørn