Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-09 21:01:59

On 9 February 2018 at 14:48, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> However I am still against the notion that Boost is going to dictate a
> level of the C++ standard in which all libraries in Boost must be written.

That's not what I've been trying to put across, though... Apart from the
constructs put forward in this thread (and there are probably some more),
one can write perfectly fine C++11 without using any feature introduced in
that particular standard.

> You can not force developers to use constructs and libraries which they do
> not find useful.

No, no need for that, see above.

> I do agree with the idea that a Boost library should be usable when
> compiled with a later version of the C++ standard than that for which the
> library itself was written.

Exactly...

> The issue with Boost Test is that if it now requires a C++11 level
> compiler to use it, every library which tests itself using Boost Test now
> requires a C++11 level compiler to run its tests.

Rubicon crossed...

degski