Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-12 01:17:06

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> degski wrote:
> > On 9 February 2018 at 14:48, Edward Diener via Boost
> > <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > > The issue with Boost Test is that if it now requires a C++11 level
> > > compiler to use it, every library which tests itself using Boost Test
> > > now requires a C++11 level compiler to run its tests.
> >

> > So, unless this requirement is lifted, the Rubicon has already been
> > crossed...
>
> In a sense, yes, but Boost.Test C++03 from release 1.66 still exists.
>
> So those who stay with C++03 won't be able to rely on the tester-runners
> to test updated libraries, but they can still use Boost.Test C++03 to run
> the test themselves - if they care.

The practical effect of Boost.Test requiring C++11 will be that everything
C++03 in the test matrix (using Boost.Test) will fail.

We'll have to deal with that in some way. One option is to just stop testing
C++03. Another is to migrate the libraries away from Boost.Test. Yet another
is to do nothing and pay no attention to failures.

Number two is the only option making any sense to me, but keep in mind that
many of the affected libraries have no active maintainers, and the CMT is
not terribly underworked.