Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] unique_val (handles, IDs, descriptors...)
From: Miguel Ojeda (miguel.ojeda.sandonis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-15 10:05:21

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Richard Hodges via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The idea is correct, but the implementation is a little naiive IMHO.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out!

> I recently wrote a very similar thing for abstracting OpenGL object handles
> and file handles. Brook's comment is correct. You'll need some kind of
> policy class to handle:
>
> 1. creation
> 2. destruction
> 3. testing for an invalid handle (not always zero)

unique_val allows for a compile-time default value. Of course, this is
of no use if testing for an invalid handle requires more complex
logic. But please see below.

> 4. move/move-construct
> 5. (possibly) handle duplication upon copy (some handles, e.g. FDs allow
> this)
> 6. preventing the moving of one kind of handle into another (e.g. an OpenGL
> VertexArray is a GLuint and so is a ShaderProgram, but they are not
> conceptually compatible)
>
> Also, some resources can be created in groups (see glGenVertexArrays). This
> argues for the idea of an array/vector version, or at least a method on the
> policy class for vector-like construction.

Agreed, an array version similar to the way std::unique_ptr does it is
a good idea!

> To me, a more expressive name might be:
>
> template<class HandleService>
> struct unique_handle;
>
> Where HandleService defines the service/policy class with services such as:
>
> using native_handle_type = <e.g. GLuint>;
>
> auto construct(...args) -> native_handle_type;
> void destroy(native_handle_type&) noexcept;
> bool empty(native_handle_type const&) noexcept;
> auto move_construct(native_handle_type&& from) noexcept ->
> native_handle_type;
> auto move_assign(native_handle_type&& from, native_handle_type& to)
> noexcept -> void;
>
> // with option dup/copy methods if the underlying handle supports them
> auto copy_or_duplicate(native_handle const&) -> native_handle;

I can see the value in having a class with all the required
customization points to build a RAII class right out of it. However,
shouldn't that be a separate class (indeed, possibly called
unique_handle) that might use (or not) a unique_val internally to
store the actual raw handle? In other words, the point of unique_val
is isolating the concept of a unique value, rather than trying to be a
completely generic RAII template with all the required hooks to build
handle classes -- even if unique_handle can be made to reduce to
unique_val with a default policy.

In other words, I don't see many people using unique_handle to replace
their custom RAII classes; while I can easily see people picking up
unique_val here and there, given its simplicity. Also, there is the
following argument that could be made: if you have to write such a
complex HandleService, you are probably better off writing directly
the RAII class instead; in the end, you are not gaining much by using
unique_handle since all the actual work is actually in the
HandlerService. While in this context, unique_val only takes care of
ensuring the value is move-only (so your RAII class is already
noncopyable), giving you move semantics with a proper default value
(so the right thing already happens) and a nice name to mark your raw
value with; while at the same time being extremely simple to
understand and apply by anyone.

Please, do not get me wrong, I am not trying to argue against other
possibilities and I am no expert on writing generic libraries for
other people to use! Actually the custom deleter, the array version
and the shared idea are all very nice improvements in my opinion,
given that they do not add complexity for their typical usage and it
is already well-known from their parallel in std::unique_ptr (shared
is not complex in the sense that it would be another class).

> Further:
> It is possible that handles exist within an outer context, such as a
> resource cache with automatic lifetime management. In this case the
> HandleService would need to be a value carried in the unique_handle, so it
> can track the state of the outer container.
>
> Therefore the HandleService class in most cases will be an empty functor,
> but could also hold a reference to container state.
>
> Further Again:
>
> unique_handle might have a method on it called share() which returns a
> shared_handle<HandleService>. Much like std::future::share.

This is also an interesting proposal. Being able to use the reference
counting features of shared_ptr outside of pointers makes sense.

Thanks!
Miguel