Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc18] Seeking a mentor for Boost.Geometry project 2: Nearly antipodal points distance accuracy improvement
From: Vissarion Fisikopoulos (fisikop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-16 09:03:21

Hello,

> Congratulations to the Boost community on being selected for GSoC 2018! I recently read through the project ideas listed on the Wiki page, I'm particularly interested in "Boost.Geometry Project 2: Nearly antipodal points distance accuracy improvement".

thank you for your interest in that project.

> I wanted to know if I should implement a particular algorithm for finding the shortest distance between two points? There are many options, such as the Haversine formula, Equirectangular approximation, and Rhumb line. Or, would any of these be fine?

The test description was intentionally left vague to encourage the
student to search for available methods and choose the one that
computes the shortest path. Implement few of them and provide some
simple comparison is also encouraged. There is not a single best
solution to the test but we would like to check your methodology to
attach the problem.

> Additionally, could the mentor please let me know on how to share the code? I was thinking of creating a GitHub repository, this would make it easier for the mentor to provide feedback. Would that be alright?

This is already answered to this list ;) But once more: github is fine.

Best,
Vissarion.