Subject: Re: [boost] Yap's formal review is starting now!
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-16 22:27:42

> All the concerns about MSVC support boil down to how many people could use
> the library on its first day as part of Boost. Even if I were to make it
> work for MSVC 2017, how many more users does that cover? It seems only to
> cover the live-at-head folks. If MSVC continues to get better language
> support, how long does that support cover those folks before the compiler
> is good enough anyway? My time for that support is not a good trade for me
> personally. If someone else wants to navigate MSVC's limitations and
> submit patches, I'll switch over to std::tuple in the interface, and
> maintain that work.

Does it work on clang LLVM targeting the MSVC ABI?

If it does, then lack of MSVC support is a non issue. Just compile the
stuff using Yap and Hana with clang and link it into your other MSVC
compiled stuff. Done.

(Incidentally, I have been told that getting unmodified Hana working in
MSVC is intended for straight after getting unmodified Ranges working.
The Visual C++ team are on it, and I don't doubt they'll succeed soon
now, though it will surely take a while for Ranges or Hana based code to
become entirely stable on MSVC. As, indeed, we saw with the empty main()
function ICE with Outcome)

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting