Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-18 13:17:13

Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> Isn't it time to require C++11 to avoid spending / wasting time on these issues?

No. Any given Boost contributor or library author is free to spend as
much of their time caring about C++03 as they want. Other Boost
developers are free to not spend any time on these issues.

(They only requirement regarding language standards in Boost is that
new libraries should not fail to work in the latest C++ standard
mode.)

> Why not, where's the demand for C++03 support coming from?

Users of Boost that care about C++03.

Before I became a contributor to Boost, and before I became a Boost
library author, I was a user of Boost at Microsoft. Even as late as
2014 when I left the company, those projects depended on Boost for
C++03 support. (In fact, at least one of the projects only dropped
C++03 support as late as 2016).

Glen