Subject: Re: [boost] [yap] Re-announcing Yap
From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-23 18:31:05

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Graham via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Zack,
>
> I have been lurking on this topic, and have interested because I use
> muparserx (and before that exprtk) in a commercial application.
>
> I am curious about 2 things:
>
> 1) Is it possible to evaluate a large number of expressions at
> run-time, where each expression is provided dynamically as a
> std::string (assuming all functions used are already available)?

No. Yap is an expression *template* library, so the expressions you write
and evaluate with Yap are always in your source code, not runtime-parsable.

> 2) What is the performance compared to other expression evaluation
> libraries, as compared here:

As I said before, it's a totally different problem domain. But, if you're
still curious about Yap's performance, transformed and evaluated
expressions end up being identical to the equivalent hand-written code for
"reasonable" sizes of expressions. In my experiments on Clang, expressions
of 35 terminals or less were "reasonable".

Zach